PLH3D-Series were created as a series of compact and light laser heads. Their versatility allows to use them with almost all CNC machines available on the market. Due to the fact that their size and weight (70 – 220g) have been significantly reduced, they are perfect even for small and delicate mechanisms. High speed driver built inside the laser head protects it against inductance effects and allows to switch on the laser diode faster. Nevertheless, the most important thing is that the length of the wire between the power supply and laser head can reach few meters without causing any problems.
PLH3D laser heads do not require any additional cooling what makes them perfect for use in machines made of composites, wood or plastic. Thanks to specially adapted optics, the beam spot size that provides very high power density allows to cut and engrave many types of materials. PLH3D laser heads are a great substitute for CO2 lasers and can work with special engraving laminates, laser foils and many standard materials such as wood, rubber, cardboard, fabrics, leather, painted/anodized metall. 6W units are also great for stainless steel and titanium marking.
|Laser Diode Optical Power||2 W||6 W||6 W|
|Dimensions of Laser Head (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 69 mm|
(1.2 x 1.2 x 2.7 in.)
|40 x 55 x 69 mm|
(1.6 x 1.7 x 2.7 in.)
|40 x 55 x 78 mm|
(1.6 x 1.7 x 3.1 in.)
|Weight of Laser Head, Typ.||80 g (2.8 oz.)||190 g (6.7 oz.)||210 g (7.4 oz.)|
|Flow Rate of Fan||8 m3/h (10 CFM)||17 m3/h (10 CFM)||43 m3/h (25 CFM)|
|Noise||23 dBA||34 dBA||58 dBA|
|Mounting Hole Pattern||2 holes, 20 mm|
|4 holes, 24 x 15 mm|
(0.94 x 0.59 in.)
|4 holes, 24 x 15 mm|
(0.94 x 0.59 in.)
|Mounting Hole Type||M3 x 0.5 x 4.5 mm||M3 x 0.5 x 4.5 mm||M3 x 0.5 x 4.5 mm|
|Max Ambient Temperature||40°C (104°F)||40°C (104°F)||45°C (113°F)|
|Inputs||Analog 0-5 V||Analog 0-5 V||Analog 0-5 V, TTL, PWM|
|Modulation Input 1||Analog/TTL/PWM,|
0 – 5 V
0 – 5 V
0 – 5 V
|Modulation Input 21||–||–||TTL/PWM 0 – 24V|
|Recommended PWM Base Frequency||5 – 10 kHz||5 – 10 kHz||5 – 10 kHz|
|Max. Modulation Bandwidth||30 kHz||30 kHz||30 kHz|
|Input Impedance of 1 and 2||>1 k-Ω||>1 k-Ω||>1 k-Ω|
|Power Supply Unit Voltage||12 V||12 V||12 – 24 V|
|12 V PSU Min. Current||1.3 A||2.0 A||2.5 A|
|24 V PSU Min. Current||–||–||1.25 A|
|Cable Length, Typ.||–||14 cm (5.5 in.)||14 cm (5.5 in.)|
|Wire Area, Gauge||–||0.34 mm2 (22 AWG)||0.34 mm2 (22 AWG)|
|Max. Power Consumption||16 W||25 W||30 W|
- "Laser Off" state is <2 V. "Laser On" state is 3 – 24V.
|High-Resolution Lens2||High-Resolution Lens2||High-Efficiency Lens3|
|Recommended Working Distance4||30 – 120 mm||30 – 120 mm||25 – 80 mm|
|Beam Spot Width||0.07 mm||0.1 mm||0.1 mm|
|Beam Spot Height||0.1 – 0.2 mm||0.1 – 0.5 mm||0.2 – 0.6 mm|
|Example Focused Beam Spot Size,|
d = 80 mm (3.2”)
|0.07 x 0.15 mm|
(0.004” x 0.012”)
|0.1 x 0.3 mm|
(0.004” x 0.012”)
|0.1 x 0.6 mm|
(0.006” x 0.024”)
|Example Focused Beam Spot Size,|
d = 50 mm (2”)
|0.07 x 0.1 mm|
(0.004” x 0.008”)
|0.1 x 0.25 mm|
(0.004” x 0.008”)
|0.15 x 0.5 mm|
(0.006” x 0.020”)
- Specifications customizable for OEM customers on request.
- The High Resolution Lens is a three-element lens, f = 8 mm. This lens is recommended for applications requiring a more circular beam spot, higher power density or medium to long working distance.
- The High Efficiency Lens is an aspheric lens, f = 4 mm. This lens is recommended for applications requiring a higher power when it is practical to use a shorter working distance.
- Working distance is adjustable. The focused beam spot size depends on focal distance; shorter focal distance results in a smaller focused beam spot size.
PLH3D-6W-Series Engraving Laser Heads
Our flagship product, the PLH3D-6W-XF engraves and cuts a range of materials including textiles, wood, cardboard, and plastics. It also marks anodized Aluminium, stainless steel and Titanium. It is universally mountable and a contemporary alternative to CO2 lasers. A specialized driver board allows it to be controlled by a PWM spindle signal and powered by a range of power supplies. This makes it compatible with nearly all 3D printers and CNC machines. All units are manufactured in the European Union by our company’s team of technicians, ensuring a high level of quality.
- Cuts and engraves a range of materials including plastics, wood, cardboard and textiles, and can mark stainless steel and Titanium
- Compatible with nearly all CNC mills and 3D printers: controlled via a PWM spindle signal, TTL or analog input and powered by 12 – 24 V
- Modern alternative for CO2 laser engravers: easier to integrate (compact & low-voltage), consistent performance and minimal maintenance
- The high-output fan and Aluminium housing direct airflow to remove smoke and allows a wide operating temperature range
- Simple to install in CNC’s and machines for additive manufacturing due to lightweight design and range of accessories
- OEM customization and private label solutions available
Engrave, Cut and Mark a Variety of Materials
- This laser engraver can cut an assortment of textiles. These include white cotton, denim, felt, Cordura™, 2 and 3-way stretch fabrics and many types of nylon. It can be done without penetrating the protection layer when one is used, such as in the embroidery industry. Some textiles can also be written on with the appropriate settings.
- The blue light emitted from the laser head can engrave on most types of wood, as well as create 3D profiles. Woods include, birch and pine plywood, balsa, hardwood and MDF. Its light can also cut most low-density woods.
- Metal engraving, such as: anodized Aluminium (black) and wrought Iron, and marks Titanium and stainless steel.
- Plastic cutting, such as: ABS, Acrylic (black, green, red), Polypropylene, Polyamides, as well as latex, Neoprene and other compositions of rubber. The laser head can also write on many of these materials.
- Can cut or engrave brown (vegetable tanned) full-grain leather and black full-grain leather.
- Cuts most foams including: Open Cell Foam, Construction Foam and Polyfoam.
- Writes on the surface layer of materials, such as, powder-coated and painted metals. It can remove metal layers, including those on most mirrors and Copper on single-layer PCB’s for prototyping.
Opt Lasers™ customers have successfully worked with a wide variety of other materials in production settings. For example, customers in the materials processing industry have used our products to melt microscopic Copper and Gold beads. This is possible due to the high absorption of the short wavelength 450 nm (blue) light and high power density. PLH3D-6W-XF has also been successfully used in factories for cutting automobile airbag materials and parachute fabrics. A laser is often preferred over mechanical sheering for cutting such materials since loose threads are not created at the edges. Our devices have been integrated into a wide variety of products for other applications than engraving. Some examples are discussed on our “Applications Across Industries” page. Of course, feel free to contact us to discuss the PLH3D family of products for your application.
Small Size and Lightweight, Large Heat Sink
This compact laser heads requires no additional cooling. They are machined 6000-Series Aluminium body directs air from the fan remove smoke and reduces the weight. It also functions as an efficient heat sink by conducting heat away from the laser diode. This maintains the lifetime of the semiconductor, while allowing it to be operated at high power.
Universally Mountable, Broadly Compatible
PLH3D-6W and -XF can be installed on nearly all 3D printers and CNC mills due to its miniature and universal design and the range of accessories offered. The unit can be powered by a voltage range of 12 – 24 V, which can be sourced from most machines’ power supplies. We also offer a 12V power supply unit as an accessory. A spindle signal from a CNC machine with 3 – 24 V can be connected to control the power. A 0 – 5 V analog input can also be used.
Often it is useful to quickly adjust the focus when a different working distance or focus spot size is desired. The setting chosen of course depends on the material properties as well as other constraints. However, we offer these guidelines to achieve the best results:
- A shorter working distance produces a smaller beam spot (higher power density). It is useful for engraving at higher resolution or speed, or any time a smaller beam spot is preferred.
- Conversely, a longer working distance results in a larger beam spot (lower power density). It is typically preferred for engraving a wider line, cutting a thicker material (due to the reduced angle of the light cone), or whenever an external constraint requires the laser head to be a larger distance from the sample.
PLH3D-6W-XF ships with a Focus Adjuster installed over the High-Resolution Lens. Simple rotate it to easily change the focus. Additionally included is our High-Efficiency Lens, which is useful for instances in which a larger focus spot size at the same working distance is preferred.
This product ships with a 5-input terminal, which interfaces to the LaserDock Docking Station. It also includes an electrical adapter that can be attached to the wires with a small flathead screwdriver. This is intended for customers who want to connect to the unit a different way.
Electronic and Overheat Protection
PLH3D-6W have a device to protect it from overheating to maintain the semiconductor laser’s lifetime. It automatically shuts off when the housing temperature exceeds 47°C (116°F) and resumes operation when it reaches 40°C (103°F). It contains a Schottky diode to protect the laser diode from a reverse voltage or forward transients caused by ESD. In addition, the integrated driver is fully covered to protect it from metal chips in a machining setting.
Modern and Simpler Alternative to CO2 Lasers for Engraving Systems
- The lightweight housing of this laser head significantly reduces the required space for integration and requires less mechanical rigidity of the frame. The finished product is simple to ship (no fragile parts). Additionally, it is easier to assemble since it does not require the alignment of optics. This is possible because the compact laser itself is moved instead of external mirrors and a lens.
- Simplifies CE Certification / No High-Voltage: PLH3D-6W-XF is powered by 12 - 24 V and just 30 W. Thus, it does not require an external HV power supply, which is typically expensive, heavy, potentially dangerous to operate and time consuming to CE certify the product in which it is used.
- Consistent performance: no warm-up time, no shelf life, performance impervious to ambient temperature and a lifetime of over 10,000 hours.
- Strong absorption of blue light by many materials. Similar or higher amounts of light are absorbed compared to a CO2 laser (10.6 um) or YAG laser (1064 nm). The absorption is over 10x higher for some materials, such as Copper and Gold.
- Requires minimal maintenance and replacement of consumables. Simply clean the lens surface with isopropyl alcohol and an optical wipe as needed. No other maintenance or consumables are normally required. However, spare lenses are available as an accessory.
- An integrated high-airflow fan removes smoke, clearing the optical beam path.
OEM Customization and Private Label Solutions
Our engraving heads are fully customizable in their design, performance and features. This includes aspects such as the mechanical dimensions, focus spot size, working distance, optical power. We can also change the analog or digital electronic inputs or power supply voltage to suit our customers’ needs. OEM and private label solutions are a possibility for distributors and manufacturers of CNC machines and 3D printers. This is possible because our company is vertically integrated. Our team of engineers will work with you to provide the ideal solution for your application.
Contact us using the e-mail form, and we well get back to you within working 48 hours.