PLH3D-15W - World's First Real 15 W Laser Head for Laser Engraving & Laser Cutting Applications
First Three-Laser-Diode Engraving Laser Head
The newest addition to our family of industrial cutting and engraving laser heads is arguably the most versatile engraving laser on the CNC market. Boasting a real 15 W of optical power as well as a novel design, this compact laser head can process a wide range of wood-based materials, leather, textiles and plastics, summarized in the Blue CNC Laser Applications section below. It is also the first compact CNC laser head that not only marks metal, but deep-engraves it. For the reason it utilizes blue laser light, it can efficiently process materials that infrared lasers struggle with.Furthermore, it can be adapted to nearly any CNC machine. This lightweight, high power, cost-efficient, and easy to use laser is an ideal choice for high-volume industrial applications and demanding individual users alike.
- Unrivaled Optical Power in its Class – Utilizes multiple high-power blue laser diodes to scale optical power.
- Powered by Blue Laser Diodes - Unlike infrared light, blue light is more easily absorbed by numerous industrial materials. This directly translates to several advantages including reduced power consumption and more compact heat sinking.
- Precision-Grade Aspheric Lenses – Each laser module contains four precision-molded lenses, each of which is virtually free of imperfections. Coupled with a vacuum-sputtered multi-layer anti-reflection coating, this design yields superior optical performance and a spectacular power density of 1.5 MW/cm².
- Synergy of Power and a Tight Beam Spot – The optical system combines the beams from multiple high-power laser diodes and focuses them to a tight spot. It results in a high power density giving the versatility to engrave diversified materials including stainless steel, tool steel and Titanium.
- Lightweight Design Mounts to Nearly any CNC Machine – Featuring a lightweight, Aluminum body that makes the laser weight less than 800 g. As a typical CNC spindle weighs approximately 1.8 kg, CNC machines can operate it effortlessly.
- Simple Integration - Can be set-up on nearly any CNC machine since it accepts both analog and PWM CNC signals.
- Instant-On Power – No warm-up time.
- High-Pressure Air Nozzle Prevents High Upkeep – With the high-pressure air nozzle, you can clean the lens 10x less often. The pressurized air also speeds up the cutting and engraving process by removing smoke and preventing excessive dirt build-up on the lens. In addition, the directed airflow cools down the working site, resulting in a lack of defects and a uniform engraving contrast.
Available with two different length nozzles for cutting thin and thick materials
Integrated Control Electronics – Designed to prevent your laser diodes from dying prematurely, the control electronics are integrated within the laser module. With no redundant wiring, you don’t need to worry about dangerous inductance effects.
Longer Lifetime – Blue laser diodes have longer lifetimes because they don’t suffer from random failure and age more slowly at higher temperatures. The typical lifetime of the laser’s blue laser diodes is equal to 20,000 hours. In contrast, a lifetime of an average glass CO2 tube laser cutter and engraver equals 3,000 hours.
Blue CNC Laser Applications
Blue laser engraving can produce a detailed pattern with round edges as well as darken the color of the wood. Laser engraving can be used to engrave a logo or a photo, which can’t be done with milling bits. With PLH3D-15W, you can laser engrave wood and wood-based materials, including cork, chipboard, particleboard, alder, cherry, maple, MDF, basswood, balsa, veneers, medium-density-fiberboard and high-density-fiberboard. For these applications, speed is vital. PLH3D-15W can ensure your business or home workshop stays ahead of the curve. High levels of absorbed optical power allow it to engrave plywood at 100 mm/s.
Another exciting application of PLH3D-15W is in leathercrafting. You can laser engrave and cut top-grain leather, full-grain leather, corrected grain leather and bonded leather. This 15 W laser head can cut 1.3 mm thick leather with a single pass at 21 mm/s (equivalent to 75 m an hour, or 1.8 km (1.1 mi) per laser machine’s 24 h workday). It does so without charring the edges. It can engrave leather at >100 mm/s at 40% power.
Wide Range of Textiles
The high absorption of blue laser light for numerous materials enables fast cutting without damaging protection layers used in textile cutting. Blue laser cutting and engraving are suitable for diverse types of textiles including Cordura™, Alcantara, felt, 1080 denier nylon, jeans, short-staple fiber cotton, wool, tartan, fleece, white polyester, softshell, silk, lace and linen. High power density enables laser cutting textiles with carbon-reinforced yarn and nylon-reinforced yarn as well as white textiles. Many robust materials used in the production of tents, kites, and bags can be cut at 60 mm/s.
Stainless Steel Engraving
PLH3D-15W also measures up if you want to engrave stainless steel alloys. In the example of the photo with the knife, we engraved it at 6 mm/s. The 15 W blue laser head can mark stainless steel at 33 mm/s.
Carbon Steel Engraving
You cannot engrave tool steel and high-carbon content steel species with a 6 W blue laser. However, our tests have shown that a 15 W blue laser head can engrave high-speed steel as well as mild steel. In fact, the contrast and precision enable an engravement of a working QR code.
Cutting and Engraving Plastics
Another application of PLH3D-15W is cutting and engraving synthetic polymers. You can laser cut and engrave plastics such as polycarbonate, ABS plastic, acetals, nylon, acrylic, PLA, polycarbonate, polyesters, microsurface plastic polymers, polyurethane, polyethylenes, fluoropolymers, PEI, polypropylene, vulcanized fiber, PEEK, polyimides, Rowmark® plastics, PPO, polystyrene and VCF films. For example, our testing has shown that a 15 W blue laser can cut colored PMMA with a single pass at 2.5 mm/s.
|Optical Power||15 W||T-ambient = 25°C|
|Center Wavelength||445 nm|
|Working Distance||4 mm (0.157")||Distance from the tip of air nozzle|
|Beam Spot Width||<180 µm (0.007")|
|Dimensions||167 x 70 x 87 mm||L x H x W, with nozzle attached|
|Mounting Hole Pattern||77 x 68 mm||M3 (#4-40) or M4 (#8-32) recommended|
|Weight||790 g (27.8 oz)|
|PSU Voltage||22 - 24 VDC|
|Power Consumption||<85 W|
|Modulation Input 1||0-5 V||Analog / PWM / TTL|
|Modulation Input 2||0-3 V, 0-5 V, 0-10 V, 0-24 V||PWM / TTL|
|Max. Mod. Bandwidth||30 kHz||Recommended 5-10 kHz|
|Operating Temperature||10 - 45°C (50 - 113°F)|
|Air Nozzle Hose Size Standard||4 mm (5/32")|
|Max. Air Pressure||5 bar (72 PSI)|
Product Video - Rapid Engraving and Cutting
Product Video - Single Pass Engraving and Cutting
Typical Engraving and Cutting Speeds with PLH3D-15W
In case you can't find a material of interest in the table below, feel free to reach out to us through the Material Test Questionnaire.
|Plywood||Cutting||3 mm (0.118")||6 mm/s||1|
|Cutting||3 mm (0.118")||16 mm/s||4|
|Cutting||6 mm (0.236")||7 mm/s||4|
|MDF||Cutting||3 mm (0.118")||17 mm/s||4|
|Cutting||6 mm (0.236")||7 mm/s||4|
|White Cordura||Cutting||0.2 mm (0.008")||5 mm/s||1|
|Cutting||0.2 mm (0.008")||20 mm/s||3|
|Natural Leather||Cutting||1.5 mm (0.059")||9 mm/s||1|
|Cutting||1.5 mm (0.059")||30 mm/s||4|
|Black PMMA (Plexi)||Cutting||3.6 mm (0.142")||2.5 mm/s||1|
|Cutting||3.6 mm (0.142")||12 mm/s||4|
|Stainless Steel||Marking||N/A||33 mm/s||1|
|Carbon Steel||Marking||N/A||33 mm/s||1|